patramimi

Patra 25 has many exposures. From a distance it seems a shining ball of golden sunshine. Closer examination reveals an artistic striped motif, a grid, a vessel on the vessel, a literary caption, and a moonscape. There are endless points of view both outside and within; beautiful pumpkin tones with tiny specs of red, aqua, gray and brown. Every square inch reveals a new meditation…
    looking for cloud reflections in water, the patra holding becomes a chance for a “prayer on the run”.

from his book Prayers & Run-On Sentences by Stuart Kestenbaum an excerpt from “In Praise of Hands”

When the tide is out
    we can go to the shore
    dig clay with our bare hands
    and make something beautiful from it,
    a vessel with thin walls
    that holds a canyon.
    In both hands, like an offering,
    we can hold the memory
    of eroded stones and earth,
    eons contained in this empty bowl.
    We can fill it with water
    that reflects the sky that has
    witnessed everything since
    time began, we can drink and be blessed,
    clouds gathering over us.

patramimi

“To be a discoverer…”
    These stunningly beautiful, 2013 autumn colors in Washington State compel patramimi and I to meditation of all that I am grateful to see. Sight is an amazing gift!
    I know too well that beholding a clear view of my environment gives me grounding, and allows me some understanding of previous “blindness” helping me move forward. For me, “seeing” with my eyes, my heart, or my spirit essentially informs my presence in this world at this time. This imparts a vital security in comprehending what I hope to learn in this lifetime.

So to you, Friend, I confide my secret:
    to be a discoverer you hold close whatever
    you find, and after a while you decide
    what it is. Then, secure in where you have been,
    you turn to the open sea and let go.

“Security” by William Stafford, from Passwords: Poems. © HarperCollins Publishers, 1991.

patramimi

Today was a perfect day for patra 025 to become acquainted with the dulcet cello, the magic bow, and Bach. The day and the room seemed much brighter!! Just enough for the day!

Tomorrow, November 11th is a special day for Patra 025. It will be a PSI (sigh) patra reunion at Lynda’s studio. Now that we have had time to meditate on and live with “enough for the day”, and the gifts of patra given our small group of souls, who are pursuing communal opportunities to learn from one another, will have a chance to share the patras in our care with the each other, and learn from Lynda about their individual inspiration.
    We will hope to have group patra photos.

patramimi

These sacred vessels live within us! The return of seven PSI patra to Lynda’s spawning ground this special, mindful day was sublime. We talked among ourselves about our individual interaction with “our” beloved gifts, about how these vessels summon involvement, and how gifting them will change or enhance that interaction.

Seeing this small part of the collection affirms how beautifully executed each of the patra really are. Each its own uniquely singular story. An unexpected gift is the utter affection everyone of us feels for the vessel that is in our care. There is much, much more to be revealed in this passage.

patramimi

This morning Chloé gifted patra 025 to “Aunt” Jeannie Butler, her godmother. This was realized at the new sacred space where her two, handsome, equine athletes moved a month ago. The patra transfer was completed with both Donatello and Carinda garnering treats from the vessel. It was a very extraordinary morning with cherished friends and the exquisite, treasured 025.
    This gift, this project, this honor has affected us profoundly. We await stories on its journeys and wish safety, health, and happiness to all of those whose lives it may touch.

Sharing with Donatello

patramimi

Oh, how we miss our patra 025!!!!!
    The colors are just not all there!!!
    Can’t wait to hear about new experiences….

Jeannie Butler Post author

Several weeks ago I was given a gift of tremendous beauty, power and love. I am the recipient of the Patra Vessel 25 to enjoy and contemplate for a period of time until it is passed to the next fortunate recipient. My dear friend Paula Simon and her daughter Chloe, placed great trust in me to care for this special package representing so much love. I feel very grateful for their friendship and am humbled that they chose me to share this unique experience.

When I returned home, I carefully unwrapped the vessel and placed it where I could see it every time I walked into my home. I could see it every morning as I gaze out the window to the beauty the Pacific Northwest offers. On dreary mornings the Patra seems to brighten the early gray of the day and in the sunset of some evenings, the Patra appears as a reflective glow of the sky’s radiance. I could see it while I was entertaining. On those occasions the Patra would always be noticed by my guests and would become the subject of discussion. The Patra is truly a gift that keeps on giving to me personally and to those intrigued by the vessel’s beauty and the story behind it. That story gave me great joy to repeat many times over.

As beautiful as the Patra is, it pales to the beauty of spirit expressed through its creation by Lynda Lowe. It is the spirit for which the Patra vessels were made that holds an even greater beauty beyond comparison. As Ralph Waldo Emerson is quoted as saying, “In art, the hand can never execute anything higher than the heart can imagine.” So on this occasion, may I say thank you, Lynda. Your heart is the true beauty.

patramimi

After some very sad weeks of harsh weather, disheartening news about the illness of a family member, and the tragic, unexpected loss of a dear friend, I am buoyed by the temporary visit of the stunningly, brilliant Patra 25. For a few days until I can “gift” my daughter, Stefanie, I am once again blessed by Patra aura. Like an old friend coming home, I want to hold it close and observe its exquisite dearness.

Though I had memorized the size, the feel, the irregularities, and smooth parts, visualized every inch of the vessel when she was “mine”, and used Lynda’s picture of 25 as wallpaper on my laptop to behold the glorious beauty everyday, I am once again overcome by the very deep and compelling sentiment the Patra Passage embodies. We “gifted” are bound together in the experience of giving and receiving, and of letting go of a cherished something only to keep it in our hearts and spirit for as long as we choose. Aren’t we so enriched, so empowered, and so powerless in this magical adventure that is the Patra Passage!

Lynda, you have given much more than your art. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Stefanie Zieger

Patra 25 arrived to us in the middle of a rainstorm…in fact, the only rainstorm we’ve had here in So Cal in over a year. I found it appropriate as the Patra had journeyed from the Northwest. I was grateful for both the rain and the Patra. We unwrapped the Patra as a family…Mimi, Henning, our daughters and I. Each of us held and examined it, asked questions, felt it, enjoyed its glow and finally we decided to place it on our mantle situated below a pair of African antelope antlers and among family photos and items. The antlers, like the Patra, have never really been owned (except perhaps by the animal), but have travelled from Africa to German to So Cal over many, many years and we have been their caregivers only for the past few years. The whole family gathered around to see the Patra in its new home and we all made small adjustments to its placement. Finally, my youngest daughter (6) placed her treasured fairy figurine next to it. “Perfect!” she declared. (See photo attached)

The next day as I was enjoying the rain as another might enjoy a pedicure or massage, I sat on the couch next to the window and read, rather, leafed through books (such a blissful luxury!). My eye was drawn frequently to the Patra. While the rain pounded down and the sky was a dark slate grey, the Patra glowed from within as if the sun were resting there for the day.

Stefanie Zieger

My daughters and I brought the Patra to the Huntington Bontanical Gardens. I will admit I was a bit nervous about the prospect of taking it on an outing – What if I break it?!?! But as we wandered through the gardens and with each time I removed it from my camera bag, the Patra seemed to say “Relax – what will be will be. Enjoy me.” The Patra has reminded me of what David Steindl-Rast, a benedictine monk, believes – that happiness, is born of gratitude. And it seems to me that each Patra provides great moments for gratitude. A physically temporal gift that will remain with us in heart and spirit.

patramimi

She/they are SOOOOO beautiful!!!

There are so many words in this patra…wish I could say them, but hope so many others will…..

Patramimi

I just got a phone call about the “good” break. The patra 025 is still very precious as one or two halves. I’d love to witness the mending process.
    Not to worry, Illy, it could have happened to any of us.

Maggie Mardis

I looked at this vessel and wanted to follow the progression because it spoke of my losses and scars from many surgeries. When I saw that it was broken my soul said,”Broken and still beautiful and easily mended.” That was the gift I needed to receive. Perhaps it is the gift I give others when they see my sickness, my mending and my return to full life.

Lynda Lowe

I agree Maggie. I have my share of scars and cracked parts too. The broken places can be made beautiful with the right understanding. Mimi and I did a mending ritual to gild the repaired seam on Patra 25. There’s a post on the Artist Blog that is a musing about this Kinsugi tradition. After I repaired this bowl with its golden tributary, I loved the effect. It seemed even better than before and made me think I should break a few more things around the house.

Stefanie Zieger

What is broken, and beautifully so I might add, is whole again. Both breaker and broken seem pleased with the mending. Beautifully done everyone. Now if only kintsugi could be practiced on broken bones – is there gold enough for Mimi’s ankle, Lynda?

Stefanie Zieger

Before it was repaired, Patra 25 helped me celebrate my birthday (and its maker’s birthday too!). It looked wonderful in the candlelight and seemed attracted to chocolate, raspberries and the golden dusting of almonds along the edge of of my homemade cake.

Stefanie Zieger

After being repaired, my daughter Illy sat down with the mended Patra 25 and sketched it. I think she was inspired by her visit to Lynda’s studio and by seeing what she had unintentionally be broken be made whole again. Notice the focus on the golden line of healing in her sketch.

patramimi

Patra 25, the boomerang patra, returned once again. This time for the exquisitely delicate kintsugi mending, which Lynda and I celebrated together. Patra 25 became even more gorgeous and the graceful kintsugi restoration served to enhance it’s already glowing bearing. Illy’s representation of the renewal, and her smile while holding it made me realize what a gift the breakage was to each of us.

After Stefanie, Illeana, and Alexandria left with suitcases packed far beyond carry-on I had an extra couple weeks with patra 25 until I could get it back to Stefanie without risking further damage via post.

Where will it go next?

Stefanie Zieger

After spending a few weeks with Patra 25 it was time for us to pass it on…but first we had to say goodbye. My daughters and I made kisses on paper that we then signed and put into the Patra…

Stefanie Zieger

As a personal ritual, I wrote the names of all my incoming students on pieces of torn paper and then looking at each child’s photograph I put their written name into the Patra…the children will be gifts to me and I hoped that I will be a gift to them. I thought of how though I will only be with these children a short time in the scheme of their lives, the real gifts of life leave imprints whether we still “own” them or not. It was a ritual for hope for the year…

Stefanie Zieger

…In new hands…Trusting that this Patra will bring healing and strength…You get what you give..

patramimi

This patra 025 becomes more beautiful, more special, more sensual, more meaningful with each be-”holding”. We who have shared this vessel wish strength and peace for its new giftee. May your days be filled with just enough.