Diane Nini

“We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want.” ~Lao Tzu

What a joyful experience, unpacking the patra vessel shortly after my birthday on September 28th! The patra settled in to its’ temporary home with such ease and grace. I will cherish the time I get to enjoy my gift from you, Lynda. Blessings.

Diane Nini

“The art of mutual giving…demands that we learn the art of receiving. In the perfection of giving the roles of giver and receiver form a subtle interrelationship.” ~From Faces of Compassion by Taigen Dan Leighton

Diane Nini

“Giving is a function and response of gratitude. When we receive and experience generosity or when we simply appreciate with gratefulness the wonder and mystery of being alive, we are moved to acts of generosity ourselves. The perfection of giving is not about the quantity or material value of the gift. To give as the natural function of appreciating others, while seeing ourselves as intimately interconnected with others, is generosity practiced within the sense of wonder and gratitude for our ordinary life, just as it is… This grateful generosity, or thanksgiving, heals the split between self and others, our estrangement from our own world and life.” ~From Faces of Compassion by Taigen Dan Leighton

Diane Nini

“In Buddhist teaching, giving is considered auspicious and beneficial to all concerned, a case for later good fortune. The gift itself is understood as ephemeral, fleeting, and empty, as it flows in benefit to many beings. The gift is passed along in the chain of interconnected beings so that everyone benefits. But true giving is done without expecting reward for oneself, simply for the sake of giving… Just to give is the point, without assessing or knowing the results, without making strategic judgments about the effects or fruits of one’s giving.” ~From Faces of Compassion by Taigen Dan Leighton

Diane Nini

“ A single moment of awakening in this world is eternity in the world to come.
    The inner peace of the world to come is living in this world with full attention.
    The two are one; flip sides of a coin forever tumbling and never caught.” ~from Pirke Avot

Diane Nini

To Lynda~ The gift of the patra came to me, filled with your spirit, kindness and friendship, all of which immediately spilled over, filling my little sanctuary here in Idaho with such loving-kindness and generosity of spirit, and touching my heart with a rare tenderness. Your intentions are uniquely authentic and truly heart-felt. I have so enjoyed placing the vessel in various settings and altars throughout my home. The patra constantly invites me to refocus my attention with fresh eyes and renewed awareness of our interconnectedness with all sentient beings. And I now, lovingly and with much affection, pass the gift of the patra to my dear friend, Bill Morris.

Diane Nini

“Happiness is the main object of our aspirations, whatever name we give it: fulfillment, deep satisfaction, serenity, accomplishment, wisdom, fortune, joy or inner peace, and however we try to seek it: creativity, justice, altruism, striving, completion of a plan or a piece of work.” ~Matthieu Ricard