Shelly Kapfhammer Post author

Thank you for our lovely vessel (#55). We waited a short time to open the box because I wanted to enjoy the beautiful wooden box that it came in. We have placed our vessel in the most important room in our home under our favorite painting. The painting is of the sea and the sand which is dear to my heart because of my love of surfing. It reminds me of the joy it brings and how important it is to do the things that put smiles on our faces and makes us feel child like. It also sits next to a clock to remind me how “precious” time is and how short our lives are here. We wanted to enjoy the vessel in our home and for it to soak up the beautiful energy around it before we take it on a journey.

Shelly Kapfhammer Post author

I’ve been carrying my vessel with me at all times and as I find coins I place them in the Patra bowl.

Lynda Lowe Post author

I thought you’d enjoy this wonderful excerpt from “Pilgrim at Tinker Creek” by Annie Dillard that relates to collecting pennies. It’s undoubtedly one of my favorite books!

When I was six or seven years old, growing up in Pittsburgh, I used to take a precious penny of my own and hide it for someone else to find. It was a curious compulsion; sadly, I’ve never been seized by it since. For some reason I always “hid” the penny along the same stretch of sidewalk up the street. I would cradle it at the roots of a sycamore, say, or in a hole left by a chipped-off piece of sidewalk. Then I would take a piece of chalk, and, starting at either end of the block, draw huge arrows leading up to the penny from both directions. After I learned to write I labeled the arrows: SURPRISE AHEAD or MONEY THIS WAY. I was greatly excited during all this arrow-drawing, at the thought of the first lucky passer-by who would receive in this way, regardless of merit, a free gift from the universe. But I never lurked about. I would go straight home and not give the matter another thought, until some months later, I would be gripped again by the impulse to hide another penny.

It is still the first week in January, and I’ve got great plans. There are lots of things to see, unwrapped gifts and free surprises. The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside by a generous hand. But – and this is the point – who gets excited by a mere penny? If you follow one arrow, if you crouch motionless on a bank to watch a tremulous ripple thrill on the water and are rewarded by the sight of a muskrat kit paddling from its den, will you count that sight a chip of copper only and go your rueful way? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won’t stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make you day, then, since the world is in fact planted in pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. What you see is what you get.

excerpt from Chapter 2: “Seeing”, Bantam Books, NY. 1974

Mary Schiendler

I received my bowl recently. I am its second guardian. I have been struck by how powerful the “receiving” of the bowl has been. I feel honored. I feel blessed. I am excited to be a part of this wonderful Patra Passage. Our dear friend arranged a beautiful and meaningful evening for the “giving” which alone was very touching. Then to take home this bowl, hold it, feel it, admire it, wonder about it, and place it…it was very meaningful for me. I placed it on our living room fire place mantle for now.Our living room is my sacred space. It is filled with beautiful crystals and soft energy. I have placed a tiny rose quartz sphere in the bowl. To me, rose quartz is a cystal of the heart with giving and receiving qualities. I have placed love and caring into this rose quartz sphere.

When I hold this bowl, I feel the energy of the earth. I have never felt a material like this before. It intrigues me, and I delight in it. The silver leaf is meaningful to me becuase trees are my favorite nature consciounesses. I marvel at the rest of the designs on the inside and outside of thsi bowl. I look forward to discovering more about this gift. It makes me smile every time I encounter it.

Mary Schiendler Post author

Patra Vessel #55 was gifted to me by our dear friend, and I felt very honored and excited to receive it. Holding the bowl is like connecting to the earth, and connecting to the others who have received the bowls. Beautifully hand crafted with the intention of giving and receiving, of allowing individual responses to them, and of knowing they will come back to the place of their origin filled with unique experiences is deeply touching to me. Vessel #55 sits on my living room mantle in my sacred space. A silver leaf decorates the inside of the bowl. This is significant to me as trees are my favorite parts of nature. I have placed a tiny rose quartz sphere in the bowl, symbolizing the heart and feelings of love and caring. The sharing of this gift is so meaningful to me. it makes me smile and makes me happy.

Mary Schiendler Post author

This vessel acts like a magnet to be held. I have never experienced such a feeling with a bowl like this. It has been a joy to be the guardian of this vessel. Connection and gratitude are the overriding feelings in receiving and holding this bowl. It’s beauty, design and uniqueness are notable. I have been very inspired by Lynda Lowe’s Patra Passage: the creativity, innovation,and execution of this meaningful project will always be with me. The impact on me has been significant.

Mary Schiendler Post author

I placed seven tiny crystals into the bowl during its months with me, which will hold the energy of love, caring, hope and connection to others, our earth, and to the etheric.

Mary Schiendler Post author

The following photo shows where vessel 55 was placed in my home, on the living room mantle. A few close up photos show it’s beauty, and the last day of my guardianship.

Mary Schiendler Post author

For me, the passage of this bowl was touching and meaningful. I am not sure now which was better: the receiving or the giving of the bowl. Floren and I spent time in her home talking about “our bowl” and it was obvious how deeply moved she was about receiving this vessel. We celebrated the passage with a wonderful lunch out together. Photos below.