Deanna Yabe

As the first person to host #60, I had the great pleasure of attending the send-off ceremony. I was in Heaven looking at all the vessels in one place. I was totally enchanted by the uniqueness and Beauty of each bowl. The bowls were made with such obvious talent, grace, and care that i was humbled. Lynda is nothing short of amazing.

I brought her home, my #60, and I had her for a month. The surprise to me and maybe to you was I never opened it the whole time! I never took her out to let her breathe. The truth is that I was so afraid I might break her, I didn’t have the courage to risk it. I have two dogs and three cats. I just couldn’t risk it.

At the end of the month, I passed it on to my best friend, Barbie, another art lover. She had it for a couple months and gave it back. To my surprise, she never opened it either! She too was afraid it might get broken.

I did finally unwrap her to show my sister and her husband who were visiting. After admiring it all around, I packed it up again. I know keeping it wrapped up is not what Lynda intended us to do, but I can’t help needing to protect it. Now it’s on its way to Washington DC to my wonderful niece, Jane, who works for the Smithsonian. If anyone will do the right thing with #60, it’s Jane! May she have a safe journey to her new home. With love, Deanna

Jana

How blessed you were to have time with one of these bowls! Many people would love to have to had that connection. Like you, many might be afraid they would not be capable of protecting the bowl. Don’t we also avoid or shun people and opportunities in life because we are so afraid that we will not be able to do it justice or we will damage it?
      I recall a parable in the New Testament in which a master father gives coins (talents) to each of servants. One immediately buries them in the ground. The other invests in his and earns and equal return. The first proudly shows his burial spot to the master who asks him why he wasted his talents.
      When we are graciously given an opportunity, we must reciprocate that trust by giving back of ourselves, not expecting perfection but rather the quest of the experience….

Jane Milosch

Vessel #60 arrives Feb 1, 2014 — I was very happy to get my Patra Vessel in the mail from my Aunt, Deanna Yabe, who was able to attend the exhibition opening and see all of the vessels at the Glass Museum. The packaging of the vessel adds an element of mystery to the exchange, while it’s also ideal for transporting. I can see why Deanna did not have a problem leaving Vessel #60 in its box, because it was so beautifully packaged with bamboo box and red ribbon, and also luxuriously protected in its red silk pouch, cushy bubble wrap, and then nestled on top of its “pedestal” painting, which also serves as a kind of pillow. While Deanna did not display the vessel in the manner intended by the artist – her appreciation and awareness of the Vessel and the exchange were very active, as she knew that the box safely contained the beautiful vessel and its base. Even though she could not physically see it, and chose not to display it because of its precious construction, she knew she could see safely care for it, until it would be passed on to the next owner. Sometime we are ready to venture out, and other times we prefer to remain at home. So I thought her time and encounter with the vessel was a kind of safe-keeping and resting-up time before its voyage to Washington, D.C.

It took me a few days before I had the time to reverently open the box and discover its contents; and to decide where to install the vessel in my house. (As a curator you never move art without knowing where it will be installed—even if on a table). The placement turned out to be easy decision, and Patra Vessel #60 quickly found a home nestled between 2 of my own ceramics vessel sculptures form the 1990s. (see photo) This was particularly meaningful since I had my first college ceramics class with Lynda at Wheaton College about 30 years ago! At that time, I thought I would be a painter, but, after my course with Lynda, I was hooked on clay. Now it’s full circle, in that she is a painter who also makes pots and paints them. Her larger and complex panel paintings inform the many Patra vessels and bases—as they too have richly drawn on, painted and gilt surfaces.

When Patra Vessel #60 was living at our house, I would admire its beauty in the morning light over a cup of coffee from my favorite cup. With Vessel #60, securely placed high on our mantle in the living room and standing next to my vessels (and in front of our French tapestry), I felt sure the vessels were having a conversation: “art is not an extra; and beauty is not extravagance!” Those vessels were Lynda and I, enjoying hours of passionate discussion about our love of art and the meaning of life. I am thankful for the creativity and joy she has fostered in me (and in so many others), first when I was an art student and she professor/mentor, and now decades of friendship. Through her Patra vessels she is traveling the world and touching lives—as a beautiful pinched bowl with an exquisitely painted soul as its base. Thank you, Lynda, for including me in this project!
    Jane Milosch, June 13, 2014

Jane Milosch

Early May 2014 – Vessel #60 is handed over to my friend and ceramics lover – Kate Hughes. She and her husband have a ceramics collection and have a great love of the outdoors and the NorthWest. See the photos of delivery — over to you Kate!

Kate Hughes

#60 meets “Jar with 4 Horizonal Lugs” China, Guangdon Province, Northern or Southern Song Dynasty, 12th Century

Lori Bonvicini Post author

I shall never forget my time with Patra 60, I can still see it vividly in my mind. I continue to remember just how it felt in my hands. It became my daily companion as I sincerely undertook time in doing inner work as I am facing new challenges for which I am humbly seeking answers. I came to hold dear its message of “whatever is received…is enough for the day,” on so many different levels. It was so much my pleasure to be a part of this divine little experiment in giving and receiving. It changed me for the good.

Lori Bonvicini Post author

I have passed along Patra 60 today to Donna and Tom. They were delighted to become a part of this. I brought some good chocolate and we had a little communion/ceremony. I am so sorry to see it go and I find I’m mourning its loss this evening. However the memory of it will always linger!