Corky Brown

On the evening I arrived to become a recipient of one of the 108 extroardinary works created by Lynda Lowe I was reflecting on my years as a contemporary craft gallery owner just a block away from where the Patra Passage event was to occur in the Glass Museum.
    I knew the Patra would have to choose me and I reached with eyes closed for a tag.
    Tag Number 87 led me to a bowl of delightful symmetry, beauty and meaning.
    For many years from where I would park….for work I climbed down and back up 87 stairs each way daily on the University of Washington campus to unlock the door of BKB & Company.
    Our gallery has now been closed for over a year and I am retired!
    What a gift of completion and validation…
    art is life!

Patra 87 is now in Santa Fe, New Mexico where my husband and I have retired. It is a temporary visit here where the view from our deck spans 120 miles in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.

This Patra has already “spoken” to it’s next recipient and will make its way into his hands in earlly November for it”s next journey because…
    On the morning of my arrival back home in Santa Fe from Tacoma, my husband and James Bottorff, a guest and dear friend was eager to see what I had i so carefully hand carried on the plane from Washington.
    James’ eyes filled with tears when he held the patra.
    I explained the project and the vessel and its purpose…
    James spoke of his personal passion for pottery and the raku process… and how fine a vessel 87 is.
    He then talked of his time stationed in Texas in the army during the Vietnam war and his job as “a potter in uniform” was teaching vets this way of making pottery as restoritive therapy. James will carry 87 to Texas for a reunion with old army buddies in November in time for Thanksgiving.

James Bottorff

I received Patra 87 from Corky Brown today at lunch. Once again my eyes filled up with tears. What a project to be a part of!

I am sending this Patra to James Jordan in Dallas, Texas. We were stationed at White Sands NM as Arts and Crafts Specilists in 1970 to 72.

We have stayed in close contact. I am trying to find photos of Jordan and I firing raku pots together at that time. I will post photos of my Patra with several of the raku pots in my collection, a Paul Soldner, Gene Tobey and a James Jordan.

Patra 87 feels right at home here.

I will post more later.

James Bottorff

This is Patra 87 with ” friends”. Left to right Red top, Gene Tobey, Green bottom, James Jordan the next in line for #87, Small pot with crane, Paul Soldner, Tall pot with handles , James Jordan. Necked Bottle, James Jordan, tall piece in back, Janie Kinney Young.

James Bottorff

Thanks Corky for posting the photos for me. Maybe before I die I might learn to really use a computer.

As photos can tell, Jordan and I have been around pottery for a long time. Not to mention that is wife Barb is also a pottery instructor.

Jordan has a MFA in Ceramics, and will be passing Patra number 87 to his ceramics instructor at the University Of Dallas.

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this “Passage”

James Bottorff

Patra number 87 in now safely in the hands of James Jordan in Dallas, TX. The third “Passage” and the First blue dot on the Passage map!

James Jordan Post author

My wife, Barbara Brault and I were gifted with this wonderful bowl by James Bottorff at Thanksgiving of last year. James and I go way back to our army days in the early 70′s. When we first met James was a potter and his ability to throw fascinated me. He showed me how, and soon we were both making pots, glazing, firing and trying to make a few bucks selling.
    As evidenced by the photos James posted, we loved Raku. If it was dangerous, we were in! And it was dangerous! I still carry a scar from that day! James and I had a great time and it was the beginning of a 42 year friendship. Thanks for the gift my friend………

Barbara and I have been collecting clay art since our graduate school days in ceramics in the mid-70′s. Bowl 87 has been happily living with our collection. 87 has moved around the house and spent time with some of our teapots, raku pieces, and sentry figures. When Barb, a ceramics teacher, brought her high school class to our house to view our clay collection, the Patra Passage vessel and the project were both discussed at length.

When I first received the vessel I thought I’d pass it it on to my ceramics professor from grad school. He was instrumental in my education in the ceramic arts and taught me a great deal about the rewards of hard work and perseverance. But as the time to move it on approached, I changed my mind and decided to gift Aki Shiratori.

Aki is a talented hair stylist and a sensitive and gifted potter. 87 is in very good hands…..

James Jordan Post author

James Bottorff

Jordan,

Well done. Thank You.

Patra 87 has been with a great variety of pottery. 87 is in good hands again!

Maybe I will have the opportunity to meet Aki this may.

Thanks

James

Corky Brown

Laird Brown with James Bottorff and Patra #87 at MOG Tacoma, WA for the Circle Completion Ceremony of the Patra Passage. This was an amazing process with a profound effect on over 400 participants. Thank you Lynda Lowe for this gift.

James Bottorff

Lynda,
    It was a pleasure to meet you at the completion of this project. Thank you for calling me by name! I emailed Jordan a photo of me with number 87, he ask me to pass on to you what a pleasure it was to be a part of this project.

“Our Patra” must have known where it was going from the beginning! It sailed through one potter to the next, one collection to the next. What a joy.

Thank you for letting me share in this Passage!

Now Laird Corky and I can “fight” over visitation rights!

Thanks